Re: too many archive logs

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:08:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 04:11:33 -0700, mike wrote:

> I'm running 10.2.0.4 on solaris 10 (sparc 64).
>
> I'm in archivelog mode with 3 groups of redo logs sized at 200M (at 100M
> I was getting checkpoint can't complete messages). I've got
> archive_lag_target set to 900. Watching the alert log all seems to be
> fine. However, when I go to /flash_recovery_area/SID/archivelog, there
> are thousands of archive files, mostly between 10 and 20 MB. For
> example, at 6:49 I see six 11MB archives. Some days there are ~ 6000
> archive logs. Interestingly, they seem to get progressively smaller. At
> midnight the archive logs are over a 100M, by 7am they are down to 11M
> with occasional outliers.
>
> This seems to be impacting my backups, which are taking 20 hours when
> I'd expect them to take less than 2.
>
> Thanks in advance.

What is the platform? If it's linux with Ext3 FS, you should use tune2fs to turn on directory indexing on your archive FS, which makes things much faster if you have many files to take care of. Second, if you don't want that many files, increase archive_lag_target. If set to 900, it will execute a log switch every 15 minutes. Try setting it to 1800 or 3600. I assure you that there will be fewer files. Third, what kind of backup are you using? If the backup is impacted that much by the sheer number of files, I'd like to know who the vendor is. Symantec NetBackup 6.5 does not have that problem.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com