Re: TimesTen and In Memory Databases.....

From: Randolf Geist <mahrah_at_web.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 02:42:54 -0700 (PDT)

> I am not going
> to lie and say our database is ultimately tuned. Like I said I am not
> a DBA, so my opinion is not really worth a grain of salt, but gut
> feeling tells me this is some of the problem and will be part of the
> final solution. Unfortunately we need to be able to scale further as
> we are really just getting started.
>
> With this in mind we currently have a few in house DBAs and a few
> decent Oracle consultants. Whether it makes a
> difference or not now, the systems from the ground up were all
> designed to perform under extremes with performance in mind. This
> included Oracle tuning and design on every project.
>
> Also there are many PLSQL
> jobs that are ran all through out the day and night which is one of
> the many reasons why we are looking at In Memory Cache Database
> System.
>
> I am now looking for a general feeling on how implementations of
> TimesTen have gone. Also other options such as SolidDB from IBM.

Chris,

I don't know TimesTen but my understanding is that its primary strength is that it allows you to perform transactions in microseconds rather than the typical milliseconds of traditional RDBMS systems. So for extreme transaction processing it's likely to be a good choice, but I'm not sure if that is what you're facing.

If you have some large amounts of data and some long running PL/SQL jobs that probably wait most of the time for SQL processing then I'm a strong believer that tuning this SQL will give you the most benefit. If the optimizer gets the plan right, the design of the database is sound and you have a reasonable hardware/storage in place, Oracle can crunch a tremendous amount of data in short time.

So I suggest that if this is the case you definitely think about spending some time and money on a knowledgeable consultant that really knows how Oracle works and what in your particular situation is most applicable. Just to name a few, Jonathan Lewis, Tanel Poder, Christian Antognini, Karen Morton, some guys from the Pythian Group, or HotSos/ Method-R are really able to give you a tremendous feedback within a couple of days, so I would say they are definitely more than worth their money.

Regards,
Randolf

Oracle related stuff blog:
http://oracle-randolf.blogspot.com/