Re: query across 3 Oracle DBs and MS-SQL

From: <nltaal_at_baasbovenbaas.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:29:58 -0700 (PDT)

On 12 mrt, 12:00, sydneypue..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I will shortly be tasked with running some complex queries across 3 X
> Oracle DBs and MS-SQL. Each of these db has millions of lines. I have
> run queries again a single Oracle DB with millions of lines with some
> success - that take several hours to complete.
> However I have little idea of what is best practice to query databases
> on different servers and  a vendor other than Oracle in the mix too.
>
> hints and tips and URLs gratefully received!!
>
> Syd

Oracle covers this kind of functionality with: 1. Oracle Heterogeneous Services (part of Oracle DB Enterprise Edition)
2. Oracle (Transparent) Gateway(s) (separate product license required) Either search for this on Oracle's website or use Google with f.i.: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oracle+heterogeneous+services+sql+server http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oracle+gateway+sql+server

Microsoft has similar functionality covered in "SQL Server Integration Services" (SSIS), so you can Google f.i. with: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sql+server+integration+services+oracle http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sql+ssis+heterogeneous

HTH

--
Jeroen