Accessing sqlserver database from oracle using heterogenous services

From: <chris.brown_at_providentinsurance.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:38:59 -0700 (PDT)

oracle 10.2.0.4 / sqlserver 2000

I have set up a database link within oracle pointing to a data source
(odbc) which points to a sqlserver instance and a default database

I can get the following command to work

 select count(*) from brokers_at_rdt ...which reads data from the default database in the odbc

If I try following syntax select count(*) from database.dbo.brokers_at_rdt ...it doesn't work

/ Is there a syntax I can use which allows me to use the same oracle database link to point to a different sqlserver database on the same instance

or do I have to set up a new link pointing to a new data source
( odbc ) with the required target included as default