Re: Is Oracle faster/easier than mySQL

From: Thomas Kellerer <YQDHXVLMUBXG_at_spammotel.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:06:12 +0100

Matthias Hoys, 10.03.2009 20:42:
>> Postgres is probably a lot more scalable than MySQL especially in a heavy
>> write OLTP environment.
>>

> MySQL not scalable ? Netlog is one of the biggest users of MySQL:
> http://it.sourcews.com/netlog-ensures-fast-response-times_3

I was sepcifically mentioning "heavy write". I should have probably added "heavy concurrent write". In that case MySQL slows down quite substantially (it might be different with 5.1 though)

Here is an interesting benchmark:

http://tweakers.net/reviews/649/1/database-test-sun-ultrasparc-t1-vs-punt-amd-opteron-pagina-1.html

Before you start: yes I am aware of the drawbacks any benchmark has.

But if you read the text carefully, you'll notice that the team admits of having put years of time in tuning MySQL for that situation and only a very short time in tuning Postgres, and still Postgres was faster. This might of course be different with a different usage scenario. But then PG has a lot more to offer than raw performance (check and deferred constraints come to mind).

Thomas Received on Tue Mar 10 2009 - 17:06:12 CDT

Original text of this message