Re: Is Oracle faster/easier than mySQL

From: jgar the jorrible <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:06:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 10, 12:42 pm, "Matthias Hoys" <a..._at_spam.com> wrote:
> "Thomas Kellerer" <YQDHXVLMU..._at_spammotel.com> wrote in message

> > Paulie, 10.03.2009 10:57:
> >> For free-to-use open-source databases, I would look at
> >> PostgreSQL or Firebird.
>
> > I agree.
> > Postgres is probably a lot more scalable than MySQL especially in a heavy
> > write OLTP environment.
>
> > Thomas
>
> MySQL not scalable ? Netlog is one of the biggest users of MySQL:http://it.sourcews.com/netlog-ensures-fast-response-times_3
>
> Matthias

Well, scalable with consistency is something else. That's why I made the distinction between serving up pictures and heavy transactional usage in my first response. If you don't care about getting the same results every time, MySQL may be for you. If you read the blog of the guy who wrote mysql, you see many clues about the stuff that is coming to fix this. We call that "vaporware." http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/02/time-to-move-on.html

I had a particular postgres site in mind when I mentioned how expensive free db's can be. (And thanks to Mark for reminding me mysql not free for commercial use).

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
The computer will see you now. http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/25.60.html#subj1