Re: Is Oracle faster/easier than mySQL

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 19:05:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 9, 4:16 pm, 2005 <FW3..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I am deciding on a database sw for a future startup.
>
> Which one is better?
>
> Also what would it cost for Oracle?  Is this subscription or one time
> pay?

The origional mySQL product was invented to handle a warehouse however it is not ACID compliant which means if something goes wrong it is up to you to restore your data validity. Now there are several different database engines available with mySQL. Which one or combination you chose will make a big difference in performance and integrity.

Meanwhile Oracle is the leader in Warehouse installations and along with HP just introduced a specialized hardware platform for hosting a Warehouse application that pushes the hardware IO rate close to its theoretical limits.

The correct answer depends on the total application design, total amount of data to be handled, required performance, and available funding limitations, I would suggest you identify as many of the specifications as you can and then compare these to the database product features. If this is a big project it may be worth handing the specifications to a set of mySQL and Oracle consultants to review and make recommendations. The you take what they suggest and add in your own findings and make a choice.

By the way, just to be clear, according to the license, mySQL is not free for commercial use. You will want to make sure no one things they can do without a license. The cost is low but there is one. Support is also an important consideration.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Mar 09 2009 - 21:05:34 CDT

Original text of this message