Re: Oracle creates multiple shared memory segments despite SGA < SHMMAX

From: <ca111026_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 15:48:35 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

It is more complex: we have 3 servers, Prod, DR, and Test. Each has 24 GB physical RAM. Yes I know that with 24 GB physical RAM parameter SHMMAX should be set to 24 GB, not to 10 GB, but this is how it was set...

All 3 servers are supposed to be identical.

This is what I observed:
- On the Test server Oracle starts OK with 8 GB SGA using spfile,
creates 4 segments
- On the DR server Oracle starts OK with 8 GB SGA using spfile,
creates 1 segment
- On the Prod server Oracle starts with 8 GB SGA using spfile, but
then immediatelly reports ORA-04030 error before database is mounted and opened.
I had to switch to init.ora in order to reduce SGA size, and found that with init.ora it starts OK with 8 GB and even with 9 GB SGA.

So our "identical" servers are not identical at all.

We used to be Tru64 shop and became AIX shop in the last 2 years, HPUX  Itanium is something new... Received on Fri Mar 06 2009 - 17:48:35 CST

Original text of this message