Re: help: Restore database to a different disk group

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 07:39:39 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 5, 2:26 pm, johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net wrote:
> On Mar 5, 1:37 pm, emdproduct..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
>

> > Dear group,
>
> > I need to restore a RMAN backup to a different server, with different
> > diskgroup name
> > After i shipped all the RMAN backups to the new server, i need to do
> > run {
> > set newname for datafile 1 to '+NEWDISKG';
> > set newname for datafile 2 to '+NEWDISKG';
> > set newname for datafile 3 to '+NEWDISKG';
> > restore database;
>
> > }
>
> > after that, i need to do alter system rename logfiles to the new
> > diskgroup as well.
>
> > But every time, i need to check is there any new datafile created,
> > etc.
>
> > Is there any better way of doing this?
>
> > Thanks for your help
>
> Have you tried scripting it out via some scripting technology so you
> don't have to do it manually?- Hide quoted text -

John is right. You could even just SQL or PL/SQL to extract the filenames formatted into rman commands and then just issue a couple of edit command to change the existing diskgroup to the new one. You do not even really need to have shell scripting knowledge to ease the manual work involved in this task.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Mar 06 2009 - 09:39:39 CST

Original text of this message