Re: TimesTen and In Memory Databases.....

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 12:03:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 14:36:19 -0800, Solomon_Man wrote:

> Anyone had experience using Times Ten with very large Data Tables?
>
> 3. Users must optimize the Times Ten Database besides the Oracle
> Database.
> Most likely not a problem but still a learning curve.
>
> 4. No Procedure on the TimesTen Database at this point (release). This
> is a major issue, in my opinion, is there ways around this?
>
> What can I expect for speed improvements, 5X , 10X, 100X with Times Ten?
>
> I understand the advantage of moving things into memory and avoiding
> some of the I/O issues. Would I be better off adding an additional
> processor or another rack then more memory instead of adding the
> complexity of another piece of Software and machinery. Or even the
> possibility of a data warehouse and update tables on X amount of time.
>
> Opinions are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

I have never used x10 but the idea of storing the entire huge tables in memory prompted me to respond. I have done a similar trick with MySQL which can create tables with ENGINE=Memory option. Basically, what you do is to summarize your data mart tables by running queries with "GROUP BY" and then load the results into the "DW engine", in your case x10, in my case MySQL. BTW, MySQL can do client-server, there are lots of tools, JDBC and ODBC drivers, as well as DBD & PDO. There is also a specialized language for loading data into the database (any database, MySQL, Oracle or PgSQL). It's called Practical Extraction and Reporting Language and it is my sincerest advice to learn the language.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com