Re: Licensing Question

From: Michael Austin <>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 15:50:11 -0600

From: Michael Austin <> User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv: Gecko/20070802 SeaMonkey/1.1.4 MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: Subject: Re: Licensing Question

Noons wrote:
> Dereck L. Dietz wrote,on my timestamp of 5/03/2009 8:09 AM:

>> I just want to know if this is something I can bring up during a
>> budget meeting later this week.
>> If we have two servers.  One will be production and the other strictly
>> development/testing but only one license for Enterprise Edition is it
>> possible to have Enterprise Edition on the development server too or
>> does that violate Oracle licensing?

> It violates the licensing. I just updated all our licenses precisely
> because of that. We went with named user licenses for development, but
> even those have to be purchased in minimum lots per cpu core in use!
> Fortunately I was able to pick SE for some of the dbs, so that took a
> bit of the sting out of the whole thing.
> DAMHKIT, the boss is still reeling from the bill...

As I keep stating, not all Oracle contracts and licensing agreements are the same and I doubt you would find any two that are alike. Their website is a good start but CANNOT answer the question for YOUR site.

Licensing questions should only be addressed to YOUR Oracle sales person because all crystal balls have a firewall and cannot see your agreement. Received on Thu Mar 05 2009 - 15:50:11 CST

Original text of this message