Re: Taking export from SECONDARY_INSTANCE from 02 node RAC

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:21:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:29:07 -0600, Michael Austin wrote:

> I would caveat any discussion about licensing with "it all depends".

Yes, of course. Oracle sales force is not unlike the car dealership. What, you think that $15,000 is too much for this only 4 years old Ford Taurus? No problem, I will lower the price, just for you, it's only $12,000 and I will throw in new tires, too. That is especially true if you are a big shop with a big name. I've seen some deals with cutting the prices in half - literally. Unfortunately, these days everybody is in dire need of money, especially the banks. Oracle cannot afford slashing the prices by much without layoffs.

I do predict, however, that, during this crisis, many shops will turn to cheaper alternatives like PostgreSQL and MySQL, thus eventually forcing Oracle to cut the prices. My boss, an avid Oracle fan, started a pilot project for an office database with MySQL. I am an old oracle hack with many years of experience but I did accept the task to learn and manage MySQL. Should that go well, I am sure that we will see those projects multiply like rabbits. That is the thing that will eventually force Oracle to lower the prices and give some things like AWR report for free.

I must say, though, that Oracle plans look so much nicer then this:

mysql> explain select ar.artist_name,al.album_name

-> from artist ar,album al
-> where ar.artist_id=al.artist_id;

+----+-------------+-------+------+---------------+---------+---------
+---------
-----------+------+-------+
| id | select_type | table | type | possible_keys | key     | key_len |
ref
           | rows | Extra |
+----+-------------+-------+------+---------------+---------+---------
+---------
-----------+------+-------+
| 1 | SIMPLE | ar | ALL | PRIMARY | NULL | NULL | NULL
           |    6 |       |
|  1 | SIMPLE      | al    | ref  | PRIMARY       | PRIMARY | 2       |
music.ar
.artist_id |    1 |       |
2 rows in set (0.20 sec)

mysql>