Re: Re-design of data storage table

From: <>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:34:10 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 26, 12:43 pm, jgar the jorrible <> wrote:

> > Nothing is impossible - it just requires a different method of
> > fetching the required data. It can no longer be fetched as 1 row of
> > data to display everything, rather for each 'header' row the result
> > rows must be fetched separately and built up for display.
> Next time you fill up a car with fuel, think about using a teaspoon
> and running over to where the tanker trucks fill up the station and
> stick your arm down there and scoop up as much fuel as you can, then
> run over to the car and put the fuel in.  Iterate until full.

You got me laughing here Joel!

Surely no one would try to implement a database system with a system like that for getting all the data that belongs logically to one row ... or would they?

Might work ok if you just need to fill your tank with 10 teaspoons.

How about filling the tank with 5000 teaspoons full ... might get real ugly.

> > Anyhow, after a few days trawling the net, and trying out various
> > methods I can see that no-one can suggest a better solution to the
> > problem. I am well aware of the pitfalls and the potential for future
> > problems but I see no other way of implementing the required solution.
> > It's not that I want to go down this route but it does appear to be
> > the only solution.

A few days of trawling the net is how you decide if your database design is correct?

You are complaining that no one else can suggest a better solution without paying for consulting by competent database designers?

A bunch of us experienced people are noting that this won't scale more as a courtesy than anything else. You get what you pay for eh?

Good luck but keep your resume updated and you may not want this project on it.

RLH ( run like heck ) ... Received on Thu Feb 26 2009 - 13:34:10 CST

Original text of this message