Re: Re-design of data storage table

From: __Paul <paulwragg2323_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 00:33:37 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 25, 8:19 pm, johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net wrote:
> On Feb 25, 12:28 pm, "rogergorden_at_....gmail.com"
>
> <rogergor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>

> > Avoid the EAV model like the plague that it truly is.

Can you suggest a better solution?

> > Easy for java developers because it makes easy SQL for inserts.
> > Easy for java developers because there's no hassle of datatype
> > checking, (everything is a varchar2(100);

Errrm, traditional EAV model yes, my suggested implementation No.

> > Impossible for reporting due to the 7-8 self-joins just to get 1
> > user's name, and address with zipcode and phone.

Nothing is impossible - it just requires a different method of fetching the required data. It can no longer be fetched as 1 row of data to display everything, rather for each 'header' row the result rows must be fetched separately and built up for display.

> > Easy for java developers to blame the oracle DBA as he/she doesn't
> > know or won't tell us the magic hidden parameter that will instantly
> > speed queries up.

Well the magic parameter is reserved for real emergencies after all :-)

> > Easy for PMs to blame the oracle DBA as this application is fast as
> > hell on Joey Java's laptop and he has lots of rows in his database,
> > thousands of them even.  So why doesn't it work on millions.  Must be
> > an Oracle issue.

Obviously.

> > Been there, done that.
>
> > "Run like hell !"
>
> > Roger Gorden
>
> No worries just remember Paul has noted that he understands the
> principles of relational database design.  His new design actually
> separates things into separate types ( whatever that means ).  Hey
> even his demo create table statements etc even use SQL Server syntax
> so it's all good ( well at least from the Oracle DBA side ).- Hide quoted text -

I have posted this in both SQL Server and Oracle forums - I could have quite happily used the Oracle syntax for the create statements but did not see the point of replicating basic create table/insert statements for this purpose.

Anyhow, after a few days trawling the net, and trying out various methods I can see that no-one can suggest a better solution to the problem. I am well aware of the pitfalls and the potential for future problems but I see no other way of implementing the required solution. It's not that I want to go down this route but it does appear to be the only solution. Received on Thu Feb 26 2009 - 02:33:37 CST

Original text of this message