Re: Cheap Cheap Database Recovery

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 05:41:42 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 25, 12:12 am, pitufo <vandr..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> John, I stand corrected, it does work exactly as  you have said
> several times. I don't need the fresh controlfile backup. I don't know
> why it did not work when I try it but now it works and that it's what
> matters.
> I was actually, as many of you mentioned, really complicating things
> using the backup controlfile instead of using a trace sql controlfile.
> Now it does not stop at the archive sequence that is still in the
> online redo log files, but it advances into the future until the last
> available archive file.
>
> THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR IMMENSE PATIENTE!
You are welcome. It is kind of a trick or a subterfuge to take a cold backup that includes everything including the control files and use the command "recover database until cancel using backup controlfile".

Of course you don't really have a backup controlfile it is the real control file ... but from a cold backup point of view this is the distinction that allows you to continue to apply archivelogs past the point of the cold backup. Received on Wed Feb 25 2009 - 07:41:42 CST

Original text of this message