Re: Tracing time spent on the network

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:49:59 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 24, 6:27 pm, Chris <u..._at_home.com> wrote:
> Hello, Sorry i am a n00b :)
>
> I have a java application connecting to 10g.
> My queries appear slow and I believe the network is the issue.
> I am trying to prove my network admin that most of my time is spent on the
> network.
> Is there a trace facility in the jdbc driver that would show me how long I
> spend in the driver , versus the network , versus the server ?
>
> I was able to do that with Db2, but I am not sure if Oracle 10g driver has
> this functionality
>
> [jcc][SystemMonitor:stop] core: 54183.916999999994ms | network: 54097.494ms
> | server: 54090.311ms
>
> Feel free to point me the to Manual :)
> Chris

Are you using an application server and/or middleware that does connection pooling for the java application or do you get a direct connection?

If a direct connection it is easy enough to get a low level oracle trace ( 10046 ) and get that put thru a resource profiler to see how much time is being spent between calls to the database server. Try buying a dba a good coffee and they may be glad to help you do a trace like that.

I am sure there are a bunch of people here jdbc proficient that may have alternate and probably better ways of diagnosing. Received on Tue Feb 24 2009 - 17:49:59 CST

Original text of this message