Re: Cheap Cheap Database Recovery

From: <>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:44:52 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 24, 3:27 pm, pitufo <> wrote:
> I got it at last!
> There is no inconsistency. Problem was that when I do a full backup at
> 2:30pm, this is a consistent backup, meaning that all changes in the
> online redo logs are commited to the datafiles before closing the
> database.  Once the database start operations, the online redo logs
> will start filling up one by one, faster or slower depending on the
> activity of the database.  So if I try an incomplete recovery in the
> middle of the day, I will be able to advance from 2:30 am until the
> last archived file that is not present in the online redo log file.
> That really, explains the mistery. BUT,   if I query v$log, I can see
> that only one online redolog file is marked as 'CURRENT', and of
> course has a 'NO' in the ARCHIVED column. The rest of the online
> redologs are already archived....if that it is true (as it is), then
> why the 'until cancel' does not move all the way up to the last
> archived file known by the current controlfile ?
> Thanks!

Well you got most of it! You only "mess around" with control file backups and restoring them if you have a valid reason to do so ... like a damaged control file.

You don't have a problem with your control file. You have a complete consistent cold backup that has good control files. You use that control file along with your complete database backup plus future archive logs to go forward in time until you don't have any more archive logs. Because you are on a different server recovering elsewhere ... that's the best you can do. ( Another point ... make sure your archive log switches make some amount of sense with how close in time to the present that you intend to be able to recover to ).

Have you tried testing based on that setup instead of ( for reasons unknown to me ) trying to somehow shoehorn in newer versions of your controlfile ( past the cold backup )?

If you start trying to put in play more recent versions of a control file yes they will have some unrealistic and unhelpful information ... since you can only go as far as your last archived log ... what's the point? Received on Tue Feb 24 2009 - 17:44:52 CST

Original text of this message