Re: RMAN restore to lower point release/different OS?

From: jgar the jorrible <>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:46:36 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 23, 8:51 am, NetComrade <> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:50:21 -0800, Malcolm Dunnett
> <noth..._at_spammers.are.scum> wrote:
> >This is probably going to sound like a very weird thing to do, but
> >please bear with me for a minute:
> [...]
> >Both servers are 64bit database and little-endian, so it seems that in
> >principle there shouldn't be an issue moving the files. I know that
> >Oracle supports moving database files between VMS on Alpha and VMS on
> >Itanium (I've successfully done that numerous times) but I'm not sure if
> >the database running on Linux on Itanium makes a difference.
> AFAIK, you cannot use RMAN restore between different OS's.
> Exports you can, as they're 'logical' not 'physical' (as in, don't
> contain any OS specific data)
> We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR2, 10g2RAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> We use RMAN and remote catalog for backups

Look up the RMAN Cross-Platform Transportable Databases and Tablespaces chapter in the Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2)

Yes, it's an EE only feature. Whether a single-user linux EE license (or test-only unlicense) is better than exp/imp is something only the OP can decide.

Sometimes I wonder if EE is, for some sites, like insurance. Mostly just enriches the insurance seller, but when you need it, worth it.

-- is bogus.
So long, farewell, auf wiederzein, goodbye.