Re: RMAN restore to lower point release/different OS?

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:51:29 GMT

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:50:21 -0800, Malcolm Dunnett <nothome_at_spammers.are.scum> wrote:

>This is probably going to sound like a very weird thing to do, but
>please bear with me for a minute:

[...]
>Both servers are 64bit database and little-endian, so it seems that in
>principle there shouldn't be an issue moving the files. I know that
>Oracle supports moving database files between VMS on Alpha and VMS on
>Itanium (I've successfully done that numerous times) but I'm not sure if
>the database running on Linux on Itanium makes a difference.

AFAIK, you cannot use RMAN restore between different OS's. Exports you can, as they're 'logical' not 'physical' (as in, don't contain any OS specific data)

We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR2, 10g2RAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) We use RMAN and remote catalog for backups Received on Mon Feb 23 2009 - 10:51:29 CST

Original text of this message