Re: Oracle 10g backup/restore

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 06:07:46 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 23, 7:08 am, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

snip

> > Thanks a lot..
> > Now that I have got this, is there some cook book to use RMAN?

If you are even asking ... I would recommend that you purchase and read the Hart/Freeman book before doing anything. It ain't perfect but it's pretty good. Read it at least twice cover to cover before doing anything further.

The Oracle doco is fine but not exactly readable. Hart/Freeman book is moderately readable.

> I own the following two RMAN books:
> RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11ghttp://www.amazon.com/RMAN-Recipes-Oracle-Database-Problem-Solution/d...
>
> Oracle Database 10g RMAN Backup & Recoveryhttp://www.amazon.com/Oracle-Database-RMAN-Backup-Recovery/dp/0072263...
>
> If you are looking for step by step directions, take a look at the
> first book even if you are running Oracle 10g or possibly 9i.  The
> second book is about as good as the Oracle manuals, in some cases
> better, and in other cases worse.

I do have both of the books. I can't really comment much on the recipe's book have not done much looking at it ... "it seems ok" but I get worried about people looking for just cookbooks.

The approach any shop puts in place must fit their requirements. Without taking the time to really understand the technologies available and the pros/cons of each ... is asking for trouble.   Received on Mon Feb 23 2009 - 08:07:46 CST

Original text of this message