Re: Cheap Cheap Database Recovery

From: jgar the jorrible <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 23:02:31 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 21, 6:07 am, johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net wrote:
> On Feb 20, 4:32 pm, jgar the jorrible <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > > Is not this suppose to work ?
> > > Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
>
> > The time you spend getting this kluge to maybe work sometimes would be
> > better spent on RMAN.
>
> It sounds now like what OP is doing is a classic complete cold backup
> of a database in archivelog with an extra set of archivelogs getting
> stashed on a different server.
>
> Recovery on a different server.
>
> No muss no fuss no rman ... not exactly a kluge at all.  More like a
> golden oldie.
>
> It certainly did take me a while to understand this is what OP is
> interested in doing.

Look again where he said "If that is not true, then I have to reconsider my whole thinking here."

If he has a somewhat current version of the db (hmm, why does he not tell us when asked?) he's perhaps better off using a compressed rman backup more often to move between servers.

I have nothing against golden oldies, I do them myself all the time. But then again, I learned about them when they weren't oldies, and only use them when they can be shown to be significantly better than newies (or if ordered by PHB's). Inconsistent results is not a good sign. Everyone needs to learn, but not with production, and not on production without understanding the basics.

If it is indeed as straightforward as you say, that's a good thing.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
That Darn Internet! http://www.renesys.com/blog/2009/02/longer-is-not-better.shtml