Re: value prediction

From: Paulie <linehan.paul_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:53:27 -0800 (PST)

> I'm using Oracle 10g.
> Are there any analytic/statistic functions in Oracle to predict future
> values based on existing historical data ?

> For example: I have a table with product sales of the last 5 years, can we
> make an estimation of the sales for the next year ?

It's all too easy to throw numbers into an equation (particularly one supplied by Oracle) and predict a massive increase/decrease in sales next year because "the database said so..."

Be very careful when trying to predict the future - especially in the current economic climate - raw numbers tell you nothing about all those waffly variables "market confidence" and "consumer sentiment" &c...

The Oracle crystal ball is in for servicing (and will remain that way for a very long time indeed!).

Paul...