Re: Cheap Cheap Database Recovery

From: pitufo <>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 05:44:37 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 21, 9:25 am, wrote:
> On Feb 21, 7:33 am, pitufo <> wrote:
> snip
> > Johnburr:    I do a cold backup at 2:30 am. (datafiles, and
> > controlfiles, archivelogs are safe in two different servers)
> >                  Yes, I am in archive logs
> >                  I dont another backup at a later time....I only do a
> > 'alter database backup controlfile to 'binary.controlfile.ctl''
> >                   What I am gaining with that:   That's how I can make
> > the database apply the archive logs that were generated after the
> > coldbackup at
> >                   2:30 am.
> With a valid cold backup that includes everything ... you can apply
> "future" archivelogs by taking the database to mount by sqlplus then
> doing a recover database until cancel.
> I don't see why getting a newer later version of the controlfile does
> anything except complicate what I think you are trying to do.  Any
> structural changes to the database ( which get reflected in the
> control files ) will be picked up as you forward recover from the
> archivelogs.

Thanks John,
---a valid cold backup of the controlfiles will only take me as far as the moment it was backed up...If that is not true, then I have to reconsider my whole thinking here...which I will do without a doubt in case I am wrong...anyway, I'll do it with the coldbackup and then I will let you know
Best regards, Received on Sat Feb 21 2009 - 07:44:37 CST

Original text of this message