Re: Oracle databases on a server

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:20:47 -0600

Bobby Z. wrote:
> On Feb 20, 9:00 am, p..._at_qantas.com.au wrote:
>> I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is
>> running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8.
>>
>> I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server.
>>
>> Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server
>> are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this
>> server?

> No, these might be different *services* served by the same instance.
> The first place to look at is /var/opt/oracle/oratab file, which
> should list all Oracle instances on your host. If your Oracle
> installation follows OFA (Optimal Flexible Architecture,) which is
> usually true, count $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<dbname> directories - each
> database should have its own directory under admin. Alternatively, you
> can also count spfile<SID>.ora files in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory.

It could be that he also could have multiple versions installed - I have a couple of boxes that run some variant of 8,9 and 10 (don't ask - I have already been beating them up to get current)

On UNIX learn the 'find' command... like find / -name init*.ora -exec ls -la {} \; 2>/dev/null

This will find all of the init.ora files and tell you when they were last modified and if there are "permission denied" errors - send them to the bit bucket.