Re: Cheap Cheap Database Recovery

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:22:24 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 20, 4:42 pm, pitufo <vandr..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, let me explain:
>
>  --unfortunately, yes, why, because I knew there was something fishy
> here....today it failed again. So I will comply with your request (I
> really need help) and organize my post:
>
>  ---got a cold full backup at 2:00 am at night. (tar file)
>
> --move tar file to server two.
>
> --at 10:00 am this morning:
>     untar backup file.
> -go to production databse (server one) and do:
>    alter database backup controlfile to 'binary.control.ctl'
> --move file binary.control.ctl to server 2
>
> --replace the control files that were extracted from the backup copy
> with the binary.control.ctl file (this is in server 2)
>     cp  binary.control.ctl  ctrl_01.ctl
>     cp  binary.control.ctl  ctrl_02.ctl
>
> --sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
>   startup mount;
>   recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;
>   ---then it asks all necessary archive logs until it reach the last
> one available,
>    then,
>   --alter database open resetlogs;
>
> Not a problem, it worked......except that I was sure that I was that I
> had done the same thing yesterday when it failed, so  I was not
> satisfied with this apparent success and tried again later during the
> day. (3:00 pm)
>
> I did exactly the same steps that I just outlined above, (before
> starting the steps I shutdowned the database in server 2, and then
> deleted all datafiles)
> But this time when I get to the point of "recover databse using backup
> controlfile until cancel", it only suggested archive logs until
> reaching approximately 10:00 am, coincidence ?  I don't know. Any way,
> I tried several times, deleting datafiles, untaring and then doing the
> 'recover....', with the same  ill result.
>
> More: when I query v$recovery_log it only shows archive logs until
> 10:00 am....but when I do a query on v$archived_log shows all the
> archive logs until 3;00 pm which was about the time where I got the
> backup controlfile from production.
>
> I hope it is more clearer now, if not please let me know, I will try
> again, what the heck you are trying to help me and I really need help
> here.
> Thanks a lot,
> Andres

Ok so you have a cold backup that also includes the controlfiles and you are in archivelog mode?

Then I do not understand what you think you are gaining from a subsequent backup at a later time than your cold backup of the controlfile ... can you explain? Are you bringing this recovered database backup on the same server or a different server? Received on Fri Feb 20 2009 - 16:22:24 CST

Original text of this message