Re: Cheap Cheap Database Recovery

From: pitufo <vandresv_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:42:01 -0800 (PST)

Ok, let me explain:

 --unfortunately, yes, why, because I knew there was something fishy here....today it failed again. So I will comply with your request (I really need help) and organize my post:

 ---got a cold full backup at 2:00 am at night. (tar file)

--move tar file to server two.

--at 10:00 am this morning:

    untar backup file.
-go to production databse (server one) and do:

   alter database backup controlfile to 'binary.control.ctl'
--move file binary.control.ctl to server 2

--replace the control files that were extracted from the backup copy
with the binary.control.ctl file (this is in server 2)

    cp binary.control.ctl ctrl_01.ctl
    cp binary.control.ctl ctrl_02.ctl

--sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

  startup mount;
  recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;   ---then it asks all necessary archive logs until it reach the last one available,

   then,
  --alter database open resetlogs;

Not a problem, it worked......except that I was sure that I was that I had done the same thing yesterday when it failed, so I was not satisfied with this apparent success and tried again later during the day. (3:00 pm)

I did exactly the same steps that I just outlined above, (before starting the steps I shutdowned the database in server 2, and then deleted all datafiles)
But this time when I get to the point of "recover databse using backup controlfile until cancel", it only suggested archive logs until reaching approximately 10:00 am, coincidence ? I don't know. Any way, I tried several times, deleting datafiles, untaring and then doing the 'recover....', with the same ill result.

More: when I query v$recovery_log it only shows archive logs until 10:00 am....but when I do a query on v$archived_log shows all the archive logs until 3;00 pm which was about the time where I got the backup controlfile from production.

I hope it is more clearer now, if not please let me know, I will try again, what the heck you are trying to help me and I really need help here.
Thanks a lot,
Andres Received on Fri Feb 20 2009 - 15:42:01 CST

Original text of this message