Re: Cheap Cheap Database Recovery

From: jgar the jorrible <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:32:46 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 19, 7:20 pm, pitufo <vandr..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Having a extremely low budget for IT,  I tried to design a very cheap
> recovery database system without having to pay for a standby database.
> This is the idea:
> 1 -use a duplex destination for the archive logs located in a remote
> server (nfs mounted).

What options are you using here? Older versions had bugs. Which version, exactly, including patch levels?

> 2-every 5 minutes a cron job copy one of the control files to a local
> disk (very fast) and from that location to the nfs mounted fs (much
> slower)
>
> Why ? : I did not want to have an active copy of control files using a
> nfs filesystem, I am afraid of performance bottleneck because the
> network. But at the same time I wanted to have a pretty recent backup
> of the control file. The same reason why I don't do redologs in
> another nfs location.
>
> Once a week I do a full backup of PRODUCTION database and copy the
> file (tar) to the recovery database server.
>
> When I tried the system at first, I was able to to the following in
> the recovery database:
>   --untar fullbackup copy and place it in the right  paths.
>   -get the latest copy of the control file (from step 2 above) and
> replace all backup control files with this copy. (so n ow the dbf
> files are old from the full backup, and the controlfile is pretty
> recent).
>   - sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
>  -startup mount
>  -recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;
>       --usually it will ask me for all archive logs necessary to
> advance until scn on controlfiles.
> --cancel  (when I reach the last usefull archive log file)
> -alter database  open resetllogs;
>
> ---I tried the above successfully two or three times, so I even
> created the documentation for the whole process. (I wanted to give the
> administration a pros/cons of the method versus a standby database, or
> RAC solution).
>
> But, today, as a test, I tried to duplicate the steps above and the
> database only takes one archive logs before telling me that media
> recovery is complete. I made sure that I was using a controlfile much
> more newer than the fullbackup datafiles.
>
> Is not this suppose to work ?
> Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

The time you spend getting this kluge to maybe work sometimes would be better spent on RMAN.

You might try looking at the licensing rules again, you may be fooling yourself anyways.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2009/01/31/funniest-bug-ever/