Re: Oracle databases on a server

From: jgar the jorrible <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:43:53 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 19, 10:00 pm, p..._at_qantas.com.au wrote:
> I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is
> running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8.
>
> I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server.
>
> Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server
> are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this
> server?

Some more obscure possibilities in http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=852227&tstart=0

The oratab and inventory _should_ tell you all you need, but people do all sorts of strange things, and you have to go into a new running system with eyes wide open. The way some Oracle features work, it is entirely possible to have database files that appear to have been untouched for a very long time.

In addition, there can be complications with other types of software such as application servers.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Butthead.  Slumdog Squarepants.  Milk,