Re: Oracle databases on a server

From: jgar the jorrible <>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:43:53 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 19, 10:00 pm, wrote:
> I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is
> running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8.
> I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server.
> Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server
> are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this
> server?

Some more obscure possibilities in

The oratab and inventory _should_ tell you all you need, but people do all sorts of strange things, and you have to go into a new running system with eyes wide open. The way some Oracle features work, it is entirely possible to have database files that appear to have been untouched for a very long time.

In addition, there can be complications with other types of software such as application servers.

-- is bogus.
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Butthead.  Slumdog Squarepants.  Milk,
starring Salma Hayek..." - heard on radio.