Re: Oracle databases on a server

From: Mark D Powell <>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:39:13 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 20, 7:05 am, wrote:
> On 20 Feb, 06:00, wrote:
> > I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is
> > running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8.
> > I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server.
> > Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server
> > are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this
> > server?
> In addition to Vladimir Zakharychev's suggestions, the following
> command will list all running instances:
> ps -eaf | grep pmon
> -g

As posted the ps command can find running instances of Oracle. It is also possible that you could have some created but non-running databases. This is unlikely but there could be an old test, model office, or database in the process of being sundowned that is there but not running so also check you oratab file. On many systems this is under /etc. If not there try /var/opt/oracle. Also look the file systems over for what appear to be Oracle database data files that are not part of your current databases.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Feb 20 2009 - 11:39:13 CST

Original text of this message