Re: Oracle databases on a server

From: Bobby Z. <>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 01:34:27 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 20, 9:00 am, wrote:
> I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is
> running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8.
> I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server.
> Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server
> are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this
> server?

No, these might be different *services* served by the same instance. The first place to look at is /var/opt/oracle/oratab file, which should list all Oracle instances on your host. If your Oracle installation follows OFA (Optimal Flexible Architecture,) which is usually true, count $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<dbname> directories - each database should have its own directory under admin. Alternatively, you can also count spfile<SID>.ora files in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory.

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm) Received on Fri Feb 20 2009 - 03:34:27 CST

Original text of this message