Re: oms problems

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:57:00 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 19, 11:23 am, Ben <benal..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> aix 5.3 64bit
> EM Repository DB 10.1.0.4
> OEM 10g R3 Grid Control
>
> Other than Doc id # 283327.1, which I'm not being affected by, does
> anyone know why trying to start oms via a Putty connection to the
> server would work on from the PC you used to install it and not
> another? The mentioned doc id, has reference to $DISPLAY being hard
> coded in a couple of files, but that isn't the case with our install.
> Are there other config files that would have an IP address hard coded?
>
> The problem was / is basically when I run
> $OMS_HOME/bin/emctl start oms
>
> all components except EM start and it times out on starting EM. If I
> go to the old PC that I used to install OEM, it starts fine. I
> compared the two environment setups and the only difference was the
> variables used to store IP address and port information.

You're going to have to dig through the confusing log files to figure it out. emctl status can tell you where the log files are, or so it thinks. Look elsewhere for files with those same names (like emoms.log and emoms.trc and emagent.log and emagent.trc and so forth). Then look at ../config related to the log directories where you find those.

My own experience, which is limited, is that it is near impossible to figure out, and sometimes simply reconfiguring it as the metalink docs suggest works, and sometimes it all goes to hell. Sometimes you can get a clue from doing a diff of the old and new configs, and sometimes from the environment that appears in the complete directory names (by which I mean, see if there is db_1 and the node name and SID as part of the directory structure - perhaps you have some port config in one meant for the other - grep for both ports in all config directories). There may be some odd combination of dropping and recreating repositories and such necessary, I won't give more detail because it seems highly patch/version dependent. I did have your exact symptoms on 10.2.0.4/hp-ux, minus the putty/IP possibility, plus having two very similar environments (same OH, different SID and ports). Maybe support knows about it now... naw, you'll just get script-readers telling you to reconfigure, perhaps correctly most of the time.

The configs act like they change by themselves at infrequent random times. I'm probably just insane, sleep-reconfiguring or something. :-)

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/feb/19/1m19convict002422-local-man-convicted-selling-fake/?uniontrib