Re: What tools do you use for healthchecking?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:26:20 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 18, 8:59 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> The real OEM killer is Nagios. It has Oracle plugins, written in Perl
> and can be used monitor just about any aspect of the database. The
> downside is that it requires an experienced DBA who will produce Perl
> scripts as needed. What makes Nagios a potent OEM killer is the fact that
> it is free, the magic word in today's pauperized world.

I took a brief look at Nagios and apparently for some linux flavors there are quickstart guides on how to install and configure it. I don't want to spend a lot of time screwing around though but might be tempted if there was some doc canned applicable to an OEL 5.x environment.

> Small digression here: I noticed that despite Jared's best efforts, the
> fine art of writing Perl scripts is gradually being lost among the DBA
> personnel. That's sad because I don't really like the replacement
> language (Python). Of course, if Perl continues to decline, I will have to
> stop worrying and learn to love Python. Peace on Earth!

Many of us are not capable in shell scripting much beyond your basic korn shell stuff. I have not found anything oracle relevant in hpux and now linux that cannot be patched together somehow. Maybe sprinkle in a little c at times but geez haven't done any of that in years now.

No worries then Mladen!

What does Jared ( is that Jared Still ? ) have to do with Perl scripts and oracle dba's you lost me there. Received on Wed Feb 18 2009 - 09:26:20 CST

Original text of this message