Re: value prediction

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:10:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 20:59:57 +0100, Matthias Hoys wrote:

> I'm using Oracle 10g.
> Are there any analytic/statistic functions in Oracle to predict future
> values based on existing historical data ?
>
> For example: I have a table with product sales of the last 5 years, can
> we make an estimation of the sales for the next year ?
>
> Thanks,
> Matthias

I heard rumors of the product called Oracle*Tarot that will be based on a finite automata, placed in the Oracle RDBMS and will emulate a deck of the tarot cards. Be aware that Oracle Corp. is named after the Oracle Of Delphi, an early leader in the executive decision support systems market. The language used to access the Oracle RDBMS is SQL, an abbreviation for "Said Quixotically on Laurel" because Pythia, the original Oracle of Delphi, was making predictions after inhaling the vapours of laurel leaves which allegedly have mildly psychodelic effects. Oracle*Tarot will be available only in an enterprise edition and will require a purchase of the gullibility option.

If that is not satisfactory, you can always try with linear interpolation. It's a simple algebraic technique described here:

http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/Linear_Interpolation

More serious mathematical method, known as Lagrange polynomial, is available in its cooked form in the Math::Polynomial Perl module.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com