Re: What tools do you use for healthchecking?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:28:00 +1100

Helma wrote,on my timestamp of 17/02/2009 9:47 PM:

> For the earlymorning check, I am working with self made scripts here
> that run overnight and check for things like space in the database,
> security, backup ran ok, duplicates to testenvironments,
> errorlogchecking etc.
>
> These scripts are a bit... wel... 20th century..

Have they stopped working? No?
Then why are you worried about their date? Scripts don't exactly rust, do they?...

 > I am looking for
> tools that can check. For example, i am now looking at the healthcheck
> of TOAD, but that frog is more into developing (e.g. checking for
> unindexed foreign keys) than administration.
> Apart from Oracle, I am also looking for UNIX solutions.

You could look at Symantec's I3. That works with just about any version of Oracle, does an excellent job of monitoring as well as helping with any tuning. It'd have been my first choice, but I was over-ruled by the PTB to use grid.

> What do you use for this?

Scripts. They don't need additional licenses. And soon grid. But that's another story, one you can't use yet due to 9i. Received on Tue Feb 17 2009 - 18:28:00 CST

Original text of this message