Re: Which SQL is the best for servers?

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_SHOESyahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:59:16 -0500

pg wrote:
> I am involved with a SQL server project. The server would be used in a
> very heavy duty environment, with hundreds of thousands, if not
> millions of database enquiries per minutes.
>
> The server would run Linux or one of the BSD variant, with at least
> 32GB of RAM. We are not very certain of the hardware specs yet because
> we haven't decided on which SQL to use.
>
> I know that Oracle, MySQL and PostgreSQL are all designed for heavy
> duty uses.
>
> And I checked all available online resources for a SQL comparison and
> all I could find is some articles dated 2005 or so !
>
> So, here's my questions:
>
> 1. Are there any recent SQL comparison article available?
>
> 2. Since the server may come with only 32GB of RAM, which SQL can run
> the "leanest" - that is, not a memory hog?
>
> 3. The server might also become a web-server, which SQL can tie itself
> to the Web-based enquiry they best?
>
> Please give me your suggestion / opinion. Thank you !!

A couple points:

  1. You are looking for a Relational Database Management System, or RDBMS. SQL is the *language* one uses to communicate with the RDBMS, it's not the system itself. Try Googling on the correct terms and you'll get better results.
  2. You are going about it backwards by speccing the hardware and then trying to find software to run on it. The correct approach is to define your business needs, then find the software that solves your problems, and only at that point do you decide on the hardware.
  3. Don't run the webserver and the database server on the same hardware (although you might be able to get away with it through virtualization). It's just very bad from a security standpoint.