Re: disks for redo logs

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 20:45:23 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 16, 11:24 am, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> waits.  To answer your question, at random times I get up to about 2M
> writes waiting a couple seconds.  I've just buried my head in the sand
> and mumbled something about hp-ux housekeeping, since I don't have
> permission to really analyze what is going on.  I'm hoping to sneak in
> some glancing when I do a standby configuration soon.

Yikes! Yup: you need that priority up. Doesn't make much difference in normal operation but it helps during the peaks.

> > Here, I'm seeing redos sized at 200MB switching every 5 seconds on a good day,
> > for periods in excess of one hour.  And they gotta be archived...
>
> Why so small?

Making them significantly larger creates another problem with the SAN sync-replication.
Still investigating that one, got a SAN expert looking at it now. I need much larger redo logs but the way it's all setup now I get serious waits caused by the SAN when it has to work overtime on large files. Smaller ones seem to overcome the problem somewhat. Go figure?

> often nicer on the train cruising at 80 next to the ocean, reading the
> newspaper and pretending not to ogle the college girls.  Either way

Reads like you got things under control right there! ;) Received on Sun Feb 15 2009 - 22:45:23 CST

Original text of this message