Re: restore using rman

From: Mladen Gogala <>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:22:59 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:31:02 -0800, Anthony wrote:

> The reason is because I got a request to restore a 200GB database. But I
> do not have a spare machine now to do a duplicate/cloning. I am not
> allowed to create another instance on the same box for the cloning. Is
> it possible at all?

It is unclear to me what is the goal of this exercise. Of course, you can restore to a different location using SET NEWNAME, but why? If you can't have another instance, what will manage those files? If you need to clone a database, then the clone itself must have an instance. You may have misunderstood the request or the requestor may have misunderstood the concepts of RMAN and Oracle. I find the latter extremely likely, having in mind that the PHB character is deeply rooted in reality. Fortunately, you are the DBA, you will explain and clarify all the doubts.