Re: HP and Oracle Team.The alliance of the Kings.

From: Carlos <miotromailcarlos_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 00:00:55 -0800 (PST)

First of all: no pun intended.

On 13 feb, 00:03, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:

> As stated, this was from the Oracle group that tested and compared these
> products and performs Proof of Concepts - I cannot tell you which
> Teradata configuration was used in the test (personally I have never
> been impressed with them at all).

Aaahhh... Oracle group. Biased? Don't think so ;-)

> I would say that "years before" ![necessarily]= "better than"
> <anything>. Sometimes it takes later generations of really smart people
> to fix the problems and the paradigms of the past.

That's the point. 'Shared Nothing' is the *right* paradigm for DW. Oracle historically has an OLTP approach (which is, in my opinion, one of the best in this area), but it doesn't fit too well in th DW arena.

In this case, 'years before' => 'years ahead' (to follow your notation ;-) )

Cheers.

Carlos. Received on Fri Feb 13 2009 - 02:00:55 CST

Original text of this message