Re: rman restore from consistent backup

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:38:44 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 10, 5:10 am, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 1:50 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:> On Feb 9, 12:08 pm, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I have
> > > that RMAN book by Robert Freeman.  Page 27 indicates that for a
> > > database in NOACHIVELOG mode, the correct way to backup the database
> > > is to shut down the database, backup the files, and then restart the
> > > database.  Page 245 states "RMAN will not prevent you from doing a
> > > tablespace or datafile backup in NOARCHIVELOG mode (as long as the
> > > database is not open).  However, these backups are not really all that
> > > usable when the database is in NOARCHIVELOG mode (unless you back up
> > > all the tablespaces and datafiles at the same time)."
>
> > See the complete example on page 285 in Chapter 10 "Recover your
> > NOARCHIVELOG Mode database" steps your thru both the backup procedure
> > and recovery procedures.
>
> That appears to be a very good walk through which was not listed in
> the index at the back of the book under the topic of NOARCHIVELOG
> mode, which is how I found the other references listed above.  Page
> 286 shows the following command used to recover the noarchivelog mode
> database after a restore:
> RECOVER DATABASE NOREDO;
>
> I wonder if NOREDO is the key for the OP?  Page 281 states this about
> the NOREDO parameter:
> "Following this command, recover database noredo instructs RMAN to
> perform final recovery operations in preparation for opening the
> database.  Since the database is in NOARCHIVELOG mode, and there are
> no archived redo logs to apply and the online redo logs are missing,
> the noredo parameter is required."

Just to round out this topic, a little more information: (Search for NOREDO in the following links): http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmrecov.htm http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/backup.111/b28270/rcmadvre.htm

Pages 373-374 of the book "RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g" offers two other approaches, one using a backed up control file, and the other using current control file:
Using the backed up control file:

RMAN> connect target /
RMAN> startup nomount;
RMAN> restore controlfile from autobackup;
RMAN> alter database mount;
RMAN> restore database;
RMAN> alter database open resetlogs;

Using the current control file:

RMAN> connect target /
RMAN> startup mount;
RMAN> restore database;
RMAN> alter database open resetlogs;

(the above is expected to return ORA-01139, switch to SQL*Plus)
SQL> recover database until cancel;
SQL> cancel
SQL> alter database open resetlogs;

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Thu Feb 12 2009 - 08:38:44 CST

Original text of this message