Re: ORA-1727 - where does the error go?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:09:45 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 10, 1:58 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

snip

> Thanks, I was wondering if it was platform specific.  I thought of the
> root dir issue (oracle can't write there), but still, no errors
> anywhere.  The cron is root running su - oracle, with the redirected
> output outside of the command quotes, like:
>
> 00 3 * * 6 su - oracle -c "/home2/oracle/scripts/backupxyz.ksh" >> /
> home2/oracle/backupxyz.out 2>&1
>
> So I would expect to see a permission denied error, even if the output
> and error output is mixed up.   I guess under these circumstances
> sqlplus -s doesn't pass it back?
>
> Of course, now that it is fixed for me, why will be left as a mystery
> of the universe.  And I hope I remember next time I make the same
> mistake.

Another possible approach is to work the process and submit it into oracle support as a "reported bug". If they do legwork and reject it ultimately then you could re-work it as a request for improvement.

Not that any of that will happen quickly of course.

I tend to not use many oracle invocations of sqlplus with environment variables inside the code (in fact I can't recall the last time I did that ) ... if necessary I tend to like to create a .sql file first with everything "completed" in it with maybe some unique part of the sql file name and run stuff that way ... everyone has their own preferred approaches.

Often I may have a canned whatever.sql file that gets run by different shell scripts and bear the burden of having multiple "similar" shell scripts. Must be rambling it's been a long week already ... Received on Tue Feb 10 2009 - 17:09:45 CST

Original text of this message