Re: rman restore from consistent backup

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 09:08:06 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 9, 11:19 am, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 10:53 am, markg22..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > We thought that you could open a consistent backup, without recovery.
>
> > Is that incorrect  ?
> > Is there any way to do that  ?
>
> > Thank you.
>
> If you are running in noarchivelog mode the only way to use rman is to
> take a backup when the database is shutdown ( not open ).
>
> Think about buying Robert Freeman's most recent ( 10g ) RMAN book.

Hpuxrac,

Some clarification. When you state shutdown (not open), do you mean completely shut down, or just that the database is mounted? I have that RMAN book by Robert Freeman. Page 27 indicates that for a database in NOACHIVELOG mode, the correct way to backup the database is to shut down the database, backup the files, and then restart the database. Page 245 states "RMAN will not prevent you from doing a tablespace or datafile backup in NOARCHIVELOG mode (as long as the database is not open). However, these backups are not really all that usable when the database is in NOARCHIVELOG mode (unless you back up all the tablespaces and datafiles at the same time)."

Contrast that advice to the advice shown here in "RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g" (another book that I own): http://books.google.com/books?id=qISYkSBV2hgC&pg=PA10 "If you're running the database in noarchivelog mode, the recommended approach to backing up the database is to shut down the database cleanly first and then to back up all the datafiles. If you're using RMAN to perform an offline backup, the database must be mounted before you can actually perform the RMAN backup. This is because RMAN needs to update the target control file."

To help the OP, what is the correct way to back up the database in noarchivelog mode? The error reported indicates that an inconsistent backup was captured. I wonder if the backup was captured after a shutdown abort, or a failed shutdown immediate - see the timeout note at the bottom of this page:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28310/start003.htm

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Mon Feb 09 2009 - 11:08:06 CST

Original text of this message