Re: SGA

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 18:27:34 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 6, 6:22 pm, mrdjmag..._at_aol.com wrote:
> On Feb 6, 4:46 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

> > > David, no matter what your opinion of Don Burleson might be, I have
> > > nothing but respect for Mike Ault. Rampant Books also published books
> > > by very respected authors, like Mike Ault, Tim Hall and Arup Nanda.
> > > Rampant Books is owned by Don Burleson and your opinion of him obviously
> > > isn't very  good, but that doesn't mean that you should dismiss the
> > > entire company and all the books it has published so far.
>
> > > For instance, I have published a book for Rampant Books but I have no
> > > affiliation with Don Burleson, I have never even met the man. Should
>
> > That makes no sense.  If he is your publisher, aren't you affiliated
> > with him?  Does he not send you checks?  Aren't some other people
> > upset because he's abused this type of relationship?
>
> > > my book be dismissed as a garbage just because it was published by
> > > someone who you don't like? If yes, have you at least read it? I haven't
> > > read  Mike Ault's book but I do have an enormous dose of respect for him,
> > > based on his numerous books and articles. Whatever your problem with
> > > Don Burleson might be, please take it with him, do not take it out on
> > > the people who have nothing to do with your crusade against Burleson.
>
> > I agree with your sentiment, judge the book not the publisher, but I
> > also think less highly of, say, millions of people who say "kill all
> > juice!" even if they might be nice people in the singular.  They would
> > need to disavow that killing stuff _and_ the leadership involved.  So
> > that means I respect your opinion and your book, but expect you to
> > have hoof-in-mouth from lying with horses you have never met.  I
> > respect David and his opinions, but a bit less from painting all those
> > writers with the same brush.  But I also understand his point.  I have
> > been repeatedly surprised by the depth of dislike for DKB by various
> > people who have directly interacted with him professionally.
>
> > Anyone can be a publisher these days, though to be a profitable one is
> > another tin of fish.  Organizations with decent technical editing
> > ought to be rated higher, and their authors ought to bask in the
> > reflection of that.  The converse appears to be true, but there seems
> > to be little relation between quality and success, perhaps even an
> > inverse one.
>
> > jg
> > --
> > _at_home.com is bogus.http://nynerd.com/kill-the-juice/-Hide quoted text -

> I've also said, any idiot can use a GUI.  If you can do it by command
> line & queries and understand what you are looking at, then you have
> mastered the task.

I certainly agree with this. But once you have mastered, move along to using the best tool.

> So, I'm looking for a book on the internals that is not to
> cryptic.....Sounds like I will not find one.
>
> To say ,"This is based on X$KSMSD and this in X$KSMSP....blah,
> blah.....
>
> That means nothing to me unless one explains what those are and what
> the values represent.....

The closest you will find to that is Steve Adams Oracle8i Internal services, which I'm pretty sure he's said he won't be updating, though it shouldn't be too far off if you can research the more up-to-date things yourself. Rich Niemiec's book also has a lot of stuff, including relationships between X$ and V$, for some reason some people really reacted poorly to it though (I haven't looked recently, but I seem to recall a lot of that was on this group). The tusc website has some interesting downloads, IIRC.

You have to understand, when you start getting to the X$ level, you are dealing with reverse engineering and have to start worrying about what Oracle says about that. You are welcome to educate yourself however you want on the privacy of your own computer, but publishing is another matter.

There's a lot of stuff online, a brief starting point: http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm#subj10

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.