Re: Why can't an RMAN job be edited in 10G dbcontrol?

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 04:23:11 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 4, 4:38 pm, GS <g..._at_gs.com> wrote:
> Thanks JG and CH
>
> I was so caught up trying to do it via the GUI I forgot the obvious. I
> checked in RMAN prompt and my retention policy was the 3 days. I don't
> know why it isnt deleting them though, I'll change it to two days and
> see if it works tonight.
>
> One thing I forgot to mention was that I also wanted to tweak the script
> so that it didn't delete the archives after backing them up, I want to
> keep them around for a day or so so I can use them to bring clones up to
> date when I build clones from a user-managed online backup. I'll just do
> this from the command line though, I need to brush up a bit on the RMAN
> syntax anyway.
>
> btw, my opinion on dbcontrol is the same, I still think it stinks..

Noons,
Thanks for the assistance.

GS,
About 6 months ago I read the book "Oracle Database RMAN Backup & Recovery" by Matthew Hart and Robert Freeman. While the book was good at explaining what makes RMAN tick, I personally found that the book is actually a bit difficult to use when trying to implement a change. The section on database cloning, for instance, is more difficult to follow than Oracle's own "Backup and Recovery Advanced User’s Guide" documentation on the same topic. Maybe it is just me. Recently I have been reading "RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g: A Problem-  Approach" and have found that the book puts the necessary information in the right places for accomplishing a task, although there is a bit of over repeating in the book. While the book states that it is designed for Oracle 11g, there are output captures which show that some of the sections of the book were written using Oracle 10.2.0.x. You might want to take a peek at "RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g: A Problem-Solution Approach": http://books.google.com/books?id=qISYkSBV2hgC&pg=PA144&vq=retention+policy&source=gbs_search_r&cad=1_1#PPA145,M1

I believe that the above book states that, as space is needed in the flash recovery area, those backups which are marked as obsolete are removed automatically. It may just come down to setting an appropriate value for the DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE parameter for the backups marked as obsolete to be removed automatically (do not set this value too low, and only change it after implementing the suggestions offered by Noons).

Check the above book to see if page 132 applies for you regarding the archived redo logs. The solution on page 145 seems to be an 11g only solution.

DBControl will grow on you after a while. The Oracle 9i style Java based Enterprise Manager console is available on the 10g client CD, and that Java based Enterprise Manager will also work with Oracle 11.1.0.6 and 11.1.0.7. But, there are some tasks which cannot be completed with the Java based version which may be accomplished with the web based DBControl (you will likely find those very quickly).

One further note: Be careful which user you use to log into DBControl when setting up the backups - make certain that you always use the same user name. It is a bit challenging sorting out problems when two backup jobs with the same name are set to start at the same time because those backup jobs were created under two different user names. Maybe that is only a mistake that I would make... The following SQL statement might be helpful if it happens to you also: SELECT
  MJ.JOB_OWNER,
  JOB_NAME,
  FREQUENCY_CODE,
  TO_CHAR(START_TIME,'MM/DD/YYYY HH24:MI') START_TIME,   END_TIME,
  EXECUTION_HOURS,
  EXECUTION_MINUTES,
  INTERVAL,
  MONTHS,
  DAYS
FROM
  SYSMAN.MGMT_JOB MJ,
  SYSMAN.MGMT_JOB_SCHEDULE JS
WHERE
  EXPIRED=0
  AND MJ.SCHEDULE_ID=JS.SCHEDULE_ID; Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Thu Feb 05 2009 - 06:23:11 CST

Original text of this message