Re: an honest post about being an oracle ace

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 22:06:52 +1100

joel garry wrote,on my timestamp of 5/02/2009 6:06 AM:
>> Normal businesses run applications, not databases.  Databases are just tools to
>> an end, not the end itself.

> And of course, taking this too far=database independance :-O

Hey, watch it!
<g,d&r>

> Well of course, the finger is always must point towards management in
> the end, and must include the app vendor who made the decision too.

Exactly. The last person with any power of decision in all this is the poor sod stuck with recovering 16 year old crashed V7 dbs with no support whatsoever from Oracle and even less help from IT managers whose only deranged utterances are about "tier 1 infra-structure" or some other similar Gartner inanity.

> It's not necessity, buy in my experience, all sites that are in this
> position have an IT manager that has not only implemented this policy,
> but is supporting it.

Bingo.

> And how'd you know I just sold my car? :-)

The way mine is going you can sell it as well...

> I sometimes do a double-take on what I hear from my 12-year-old...

Kids have a wonderful way of sending adults looking for a reply. Their values are a lot more logic than ours, that's why they get us stuck.

>> And there is a difference between a who-you-know community based award and one
>> unilaterally decided by whomever at Oracle, at their unique discretion, because...?

> Same problem with apprenticeships and academia. Wish I had an answer.

Mine is this: industry awards can only be credible if they span more than one manufacturer. The same way academic awards are only credible if conferred or recognized by more than one school.

Awards or titles promoted, paid to and granted by a single manufacturer are nothing more than marketing quackery.

> Even so, I think there's still some value in it, there is motivation
> in the aspiration, the problem arises with the misapplication of the
> value.

Sure. But the problem won't go away for as long as the determination and attribution of merit is completely one-sided and based on an adhoc and arbitrary value system. Received on Thu Feb 05 2009 - 05:06:52 CST

Original text of this message