Re: Why can't an RMAN job be edited in 10G dbcontrol?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 10:27:12 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 4, 8:04 am, GS <g..._at_gs.com> wrote:
> I set up a nightly backup job on a new database I just moved over to a
> Windows 2008 server, and I was sure I told it to keep 3 days worth of
> backups then delete obsolete backups. The problem is that it is not
> deleting  the older backups, I have to do it manually, and I can't get
> into the job to see or change what it is doing. Dbcontrol just tells me
> that "Edit is not supported for this job type, only general information
> about the job can be updated".
>
> So now it looks like I have to either just create a new job and delete
> this one, or just write the RMAN scripts and put them in scheduled tasks
> so I can at least tweak or change them later if I want to.
>
> I guess this is more of a rant than a question, I have about 1/2 my DB's
> on 10G now and I am NOT getting used to the dbcontrol gui, in fact I
> think it is a bloated crappy gui interface.  The 9i enterprise manager
> with a management server IMHO was/is a far better tool. I suppose I
> should give grid control another go, but after fighting with it for 2
> days straight the last go around (and still not working) I am a tad
> soured on it. IMO a tool should be simple to implement, not be more
> complex than what you are trying to administer with it. </rant>

There are different ways to specify things, show all in rman to show us which you are using.

It works for me, in fact, it was a bit too aggressive until I figured out the redundancy can include 1 for a backup and another for the archivelog backup in the same script. Then it all stopped working for no reason at all. So I ranted like you (except I just used cron and scripts in 9i). Now it works again, the reconfigure worked this time (as opposed to last time, when it made things worse).

I quickly learned to keep a text file of any scripts I'm running. The space reclamation stuff is simply bizarre. Yesterday it told me a table was 64G, with 62G reclaimable. In a 46G tablespace. That's 98% full. Oh wait, it's 93% full. And why does it ignore my changes to the warning of percentage full? Sometimes? And java 500 errors when I try to get a tablespace map. Sometimes. Then not other times. You'd think by 10.2.0.4 they'd get it at least close to being right. But maybe the stupid architecture is so asynchronous it just splits its guts into parallel worlds. And any actual technical question on the oracle forum is just chirping crickets. It's not even worth it going to metalink until things are a smoking pile.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/feb/04/1n4ads002655-you-watch-ads-they-may-watch-you/?uniontrib