Re: Why can't an RMAN job be edited in 10G dbcontrol?

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 09:53:48 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 4, 11:04 am, GS <g..._at_gs.com> wrote:
> I set up a nightly backup job on a new database I just moved over to a
> Windows 2008 server, and I was sure I told it to keep 3 days worth of
> backups then delete obsolete backups. The problem is that it is not
> deleting  the older backups, I have to do it manually, and I can't get
> into the job to see or change what it is doing. Dbcontrol just tells me
> that "Edit is not supported for this job type, only general information
> about the job can be updated".
>
> So now it looks like I have to either just create a new job and delete
> this one, or just write the RMAN scripts and put them in scheduled tasks
> so I can at least tweak or change them later if I want to.
>
> I guess this is more of a rant than a question, I have about 1/2 my DB's
> on 10G now and I am NOT getting used to the dbcontrol gui, in fact I
> think it is a bloated crappy gui interface.  The 9i enterprise manager
> with a management server IMHO was/is a far better tool. I suppose I
> should give grid control another go, but after fighting with it for 2
> days straight the last go around (and still not working) I am a tad
> soured on it. IMO a tool should be simple to implement, not be more
> complex than what you are trying to administer with it. </rant>

Are you using a flash recovery area?

Open a DOS command line prompt, and type: C:\> RMAN
RMAN> CONNECT TARGET SYS/SYSPASS_at_DBNAME (If you are using a recovery catalog):
RMAN> CONNECT CATALOG RMAN/RMANPASS_at_DBNAME2 RMAN> SHOW RETENTION POLICY;
(to keep 2 backups):
RMAN> CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 2; If you want to do this with the GUI:
Select the Maintenance tab
Click Backup Settings
Click the Policy tab
Select "Retain at least the specified number of full backups for each datafile"
Set Backups to 2
Click OK

You may wish to use a number other than 2.

Please verify the above before attempting...

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Wed Feb 04 2009 - 11:53:48 CST

Original text of this message