Re: Db crashed with no backups :confused:

From: SEJ <sejprv_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:56:06 +0100

hi
http://groups.google.dk/groups/search?hl=da&q=David+Fitzjarrell&sa=N&start=80 i cant read them all
"ddf" <oratune_at_msn.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:05641a8d-e025-49b5-acda-d9275dd5363e_at_r41g2000prr.googlegroups.com... Comments embedded.

On Feb 1, 12:46 pm, "SEJ" <sej..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Well must top post

No, you choose to do so. And, of course, that IS your choice to make. Sybrand dosent like

> If you havent read the complete documentation like the tora you cant get
> help from the DBA´s, If you made an errror you will know. This group
> belong
> to them and stupid questions like yours are not allowed.

Certainly they are; this thread exists simply because the question was allowed to be posted.

Have youe read how many questions were the answer is read the documetation ?

> This group can somtimes be almost like religion,

Really? And we thought it good, common sense to follow accepted practices. Silly us.

You are the real DBA's, you know almost all about Oracle on the backbone why scare people away, -perhaps a starting DBA ?

> and yes they can Oracle to
> their fingertips,

What, exactly, does that mean?
What do you do beside Oracle ?
AD, Windows IIS, Client system, Project manageing, worst case QA for QA
> so i do not know why they bother comment your question.

Because it illustrates a valid point of what happens when there are no backups taken of a database. To consider a 'development' database 'non-production' is likely wrong, as the development team uses it to produce code/applications, thus to them it IS a production database and should be worthy of the same attention as the 'actual production database' the end-users access. Shakespeare made this point in an earlier response.

I agree, but it do not help him.

> Sometimes you can get help from Oracle "wannebees" like my self, I have
> been
> working with databases for 25 years only 10 with Oracle but if you do
> other
> things, you cant red everything. I have never read any and have always got
> what i wanted by doing the right search.

Does that mean you don't read the documents you do look up? Yes, I read what others have done in the excact same situation, -no docs, im not a DBA.

> I have read the comments for some of the persons in this group for many
> years, and they don not ask questions in other groups. (not in their own
> name)

What name do they use?
I'm sorry
http://groups.google.dk/groups/search?hl=da&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&q=David+Fitzjarrell+-oracle+-sql+-database+-dba+-parameter+-parameters+-query+-prcedure+-authentication+-datafile+-backup+-NT+-mount+-plsql+-null+-sys+-immediate+-row+-bulk+-ORACLE+-tablespace+-partition+-compile+-column+-raw+-substr+-table+-index+-provide&sitesearch=&sa=N&start=10 you have 1720 in google groups
36 are in other groups, some to do with oracle

> Properly they have not understood the gain of information the internet
> have
> brougth to them,

Why, then, would we promote internet searches for those who visit and present often-asked (and more often answered) questions if we don't understand the power of the medium? Your comment makes no sense.

Why do you bother comment with "read the documentation" My real problem is that youre not polite, if we ask stupid questions

> but on the otherhand what is there to know beside Unix and
> oracle.

Windows, VMS, Linux, OS/2, OS/400 as Oracle also runs on those operating systems. :)

well i know.

Small DBA's work on windows, the application i support on Oracle for 80 customers, 40.000 users OLTP all day, 20 of those of course have their own real DBA on UNIX in GRID and so on, the others we have to support if it goes wrong. From Oracle 7.3.4 to 10.2.03 wihh 6 major version and 60 minor patches and off cource the customers own application, their own backup methods and so on, and many more. I do not hve the time to concentrate on Oracle, -im sorry.

Our customers are looking for a version for MS sql, - i hope not

And, in the context of this newsgroup, what other questions are asked here?

> regards SEJ
> "Gerard H. Pille" <g..._at_skynet.be> skrev i en
> meddelelsenews:4985dcb9$0$2870$ba620e4c_at_news.skynet.be...
>

> > dbagtcol schreef:
> >> Hi all
> >> We've just had a scenario here; one of our dev db has just crashed due
> >> to unavoidable power failure. We've had no backup for this since the
> >> beginning. I could recover redo logfiles; I couldn't RECOVER datafiles
> >> though. I am trying out CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE orcl
> >> RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG option, provided I don't have backups for
> >> control files, redo logfile, datafiles, spfiles or anything. I am on
> >> RHEL 4, Oracle 10gR2.
>
> >> Please suggest.
>
> > After a power failure, you only need to start the database normally. It
> > will roll back all non-commited transactions and that's it. What have
> > you tried to- Hide quoted text -

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Feb 03 2009 - 12:56:06 CST

Original text of this message