Re: an honest post about being an oracle ace

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 22:28:02 -0600

joel garry wrote:
> On Feb 2, 3:02 am, Noons <wizofo..._at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> Mladen Gogala wrote,on my timestamp of 2/02/2009 9:37 PM:
>>
>>> There is a financial crisis going on, many of the banks that were Oracle's
>>> most valued clients are no longer in business and the surviving ones are
>>> on the dole, which means that they will not be buying new RAC licenses
>>> anytime soon.
>> Don't let that stop "experts" from trying to sell us RAC across the Pacific, for
>>   our Aus and US centres.  I'm quite sure that's gonna work real swell for the
>> DW, particularly with ours being AIX, theirs HPUX, a link between the two of
>> 48Mbps and a daily change rate of 500GB on the common tables.
>> Of course: they wonder why I call them "incompetent, raving lunatics" at every
>> meeting...

> This is a more recent comment by Chen on the blog (in response to a
> "how best to learn oracle" comment):
>
> "Convince the business they urgently need - RAC, Streams, Dataguard,
> 11g, datawarehouse, materialized views. Whatever you want to learn.
> Actually, most successful DBAs I know do that."
>
> I think she's done some very good stuff, but must take issue with that
> one.

<snip>
  yes - convince them they the RAC, then issue the automatic PL/SQL statement:

alter DBA update resume;

I know there are valid reasons to do RAC, but most that are postulated and presented to management these days are nonsense. Received on Mon Feb 02 2009 - 22:28:02 CST

Original text of this message