Re: Low cardinality,high concurrent in OLTP, how to improve query performance?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:24:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 17:44:03 -0600, Michael Austin wrote:

> I know of no reason to not create an index on this column. Yes it is can
> produce a somewhat lop-sided BTree but, it will prevent a FTS.

Not necessarily. In the beginning, and my impression is that the application is only being developed, there will be significant portion of the daily data in the table. Full table scan is more than likely, regardless of the index. Preventing full table scan may not be such a good idea, because searching through the large quantity of data using index scans is much slower than doing it by the full table scan.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com