Re: Db crashed with no backups :confused:

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 07:29:36 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 30, 10:29 pm, Palooka <nob..._at_nowhere.com> wrote:
> dbagtcol wrote:

> > Hi all
> > We've just had a scenario here; one of our dev db has just crashed due
> > to unavoidable power failure. We've had no backup for this since the
> > beginning. I could recover redo logfiles; I couldn't RECOVER datafiles
> > though. I am trying out CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE orcl
> > RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG option, provided I don't have backups for
> > control files, redo logfile, datafiles, spfiles or anything. I am on
> > RHEL 4, Oracle 10gR2.

#> > Please suggest.
#>
#> If it's important, try backing it up in your next job. Or suggest
#> your (ex) employers that they consider hiring a semi competent DBA.
#>
#> Palooka

There's nothing wrong with people asking questions here. For better or worse there are no shortage of places where some/many of the dev databases have inadequate backup procedures.

I don't see the OP noting that it was a production system with inadequate backup procedures.

No reason in my opinion to be cutting here. We have had more than enough people ( fill in the blanks ) implying that others should be fired ... think about decaf perhaps? Received on Sat Jan 31 2009 - 09:29:36 CST

Original text of this message